At the young age of 23, I found myself pregnant for the second time and weighing over 300 lbs (136 kg) the extra weight was uncomfortable, painful, and caused me to be self conscious and depressed. I needed to find a way to be healthier for my husband and my children, but unfortunately I struggled with an addiction to food. Through the grace of God and a lot of prayers I was able to pull myself together and make some much needed changes starting with my diet.
I became a plant based vegan not for ethical reasons, but for all the health benefits that come along with it. I quickly saw an improvement on my health when in the first 4 weeks I lost a staggering 50 lbs (23 kg) followed by an additional 50 lbs (23 kg) over the course of 9 more months! That’s 100 lbs (46 kg) in just 10 short months!
I continue to eat an abundance of healthy high carb, low fat plant based foods usually consisting of 3000+ calories a day of mostly fruit for breakfast and lunch followed by a dinner that usually consists of some kind of grain and vegetable. Although on occasion I do eat vegetables and grains through out the day as well. This regime has helped me to get fit, stay healthy and physically feel the greatest.
Feel free to ask me any questions about eating healthy by commenting below. – Airin Oluwa
Oil-free Salt-free Nigerian Tomato Stew
Click here to watch the video below.
- Approximately 20-25 tomatoes
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp African or Caribbean Thyme
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 vegetable stock (optional)
- Vegetable broth (optional)
Before you start
- Chop all the tomatoes in half, chop up the onion into large chunks and remove the seeds from the red bell peppers. This does not have to be perfect as we are going to throw it all in the blender.
- In your blender (preferably high speed) throw in your chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, chopped onion, bell pepper, thyme, and crushed pepper.
- Blend till all the ingredients have a nice a smooth consistency. This is all going to get boiled down together so if you need to, you can add water to your blender to get it moving but by doing this it will increase your wait time on the boiling process.
- Once all the ingredients are blended nice and smooth together throw it into a large pot set at a medium temperature and forget about it on the stove for about 2 hours or until all the water is boiled out of the sauce completely.
- At this point if you need to transfer it into a smaller pot for easier handling you can.
- If you opted in for the vegetable stock add that in at this point breaking it up and distributing it into the stew evenly.
- Turn the heat down to a low temperature add in your desired amount of vegetable broth till you get the consistency you desire. I prefer mine thicker so when I freeze it I can later thin it out or leave it thick depending on the dishes I serve it with.
- Allow this to simmer on the stove till the stock it well mixed in, approximately 10 min.
Serve the Tomato Stew with your favorite kind of rice and some baked plantain, pounded yam or eba with some spinach or use it as a spaghetti sauce with some other veggies added to it like mushrooms and spinach. One of my personal favorite ways to serve it is to use it to top off a sweet pepper salad with some sauteed onion and tofu.
This simple stew can be used in so many different ways to make several different dishes that you will never get tired of. Making a large pot like this allows for some to be frozen for later usage when in a time crunch.